Thursday, July 1, 2010

"Pretty Penny~For Your Thoughts"


Hello cyber-world. It's been too long since I've posted anything on here so thought I'd drop in a few notes. On this holiday I'm reminded of the book referred to a couple of months ago by Marianne Williamson about healing the soul of America. It usually disturbs me when I get some e-mail tirade about someone or another not being a true American because they choose to dissent about something, or to apologize about something. It should be remembered by us all that it is that right to dissent which is one of the bulwarks of our wonderfully blessed country. And just as the scriptures state "those who say they have no sin deceive themselves" (not sure if that is an exact quote so probably should not have put quotation marks there but the meaning is accurate) it would be wise, I feel, to man up when we see an error and take responsibility to make it as right as possible. It is also clear to me that just as some relationships go South due to one or the other assuming they're so 100% right on and the other part of the relationship therefore has to be wrong; the same logic is valid for many of our political relationships. In my Christian tradition there has always been a form of "confession and absolution" in the service. This is not a sign of weakness but a symbol of our frailties and desire to make amends and start over. I sometimes subscribe to a social-justice-Christian" magazine called Sojourners. The editor is Jim Wallis who I believe I've quoted before. I don't always agree with him but he is a fair and just writer. Anyway they sent me a renewal note that said if I renewed with the magazine then they would send me a bumper sticker which says "GOD is not a Republican...Or a Democrat". I don't do bumper stickers in most cases but this one brings up a good point. If you are doing what Jesus told us to for the world then it really doesn't make any difference which party you belong to as they really only may or may not be an effective means to an end. Guess that's enough for right now but I invite any dialogue to explore this subject further. Have a Happy Fourth! RV

No comments:

Post a Comment