Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Rose by any Other Name!

So to carry on from yesterday. Becker is a good writer and I believe his work will help me to understand better the world of Philosophy. It is slow reading for me as many terms are like a foreign language to me. The first three chapters seem to be a good exposition of the "Hero" concept. As he is a really good source I will continue to insert a few quotes as I go along here. He says regarding the volumn of thought "In times such as ours there is a great pressure to come up with concepts that help men understand their dilemma; there is an urge toward vital ideas, toward a simplification of needless intellectual complexity." It seems the first couple of chapters he is presenting a very dualistic nature of man. I'm pretty sure he is going to rise above this viewpoint in future chapters. It seems to me that the dividing of the human condition into the poles of a) Bodies and symbols, b) Bodies and self, and c)Bodies and essence is actually very dualistic and decries the concept of the homogenity of all creation. I believe that he may end up going to a concept that it is all connected; Philosophy, and Science, and Theology or Religion. I hope so. This will be a short posting as just had to have some dental work done so feeling kind of punk. I've stated before that I don't believe there is a practical or even an efficatious way to talk about man and not talk religion. I am refreshed to read the following from Becker; "Society itself is a codified hero system, which means that society everywhere is a living myth of the significance of human life,...Every society thus is a "religion" whether it thinks so or not: ... no matter how much they may try to disguise themselves by omitting religious and spiritual ideas from their lives." Take Care! RV

No comments:

Post a Comment