Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Circle of Life


Circles of Life and connectedness seem to be my theme for today. The past few days I've been presented with several conversations and challenges which are really quite connected. That fact may not seem obvious at first but it sure appears so to me. Last Friday at the "Omega House" gathering we continued discussing the Becker book referred to earlier. In the philosophical subject of the elements of human composition I brought up the area of "Noetic" sciences as being one inquiry into the dualistic/opposing parts of a human which could help explain the middle ground. I know Rich asked me rhetorically what "Noetic" meant as he would have a whole lot better grasp on the concept than I do. I however couldn't really define the term except in vague terms. Someone else defined it as relating to the mind. That really didn't do it for me but my ignorance had to let the issue go. In reality the term is a little nebulous as to the span of areas of study. Noetic comes from the Greek "Nous" and appears to not have a direct English translation. The Institute on Noetic Sciences defines it as an "inner knowing = a kind of intuitive consciousness direct and immediate access to knowledge beyond what is available to our "Normal" senses and the power of reason." The span of study is huge including the healing power of the mind regarding the body(among other subjects), paraphyschology, astral projection of the mind, and many others. The Institute was founded in the mid 70's by Astronaut Edgar Mitchell and others following his return from space. He was so amazed by the sight of the Earth from space that he felt there had to be more than "Just" science behind it all. So as I see it Noetics is trying to deal with/experience the uncertainty or Mystery of that which is holding it all together. And attempting to possibly measure some of this force. The flux or circle of life. Becker is writing about the philosopher Kierkegaard and says"...progression in...the possibilities of heroism...Man breaks through the bounds of mearly cultural heroism; he destroys the character lie that had him perform as a hero in the everyday social scheme of things; and by doing so he opens himself up to infinity, to the possibility of cosmic heroism, to the very service of God. His life thereby acquires ultimate value in place of mearly social and cultural, historic value. He links his secret inner self, his authentic talent, his deepest feelings of uniqueness, his inner yearnings for absolute significance, to the very ground of creation....Cosmic Heroism." To me that mystery and force of creation is what the noetics are trying to measure and what not only Becker and Kierkegaard but also Mclaren and Rohr are getting at with the relation of all creation with the Creator. That mystery and "dance" is also a pretty good description of the Trinity. I was thinking at Sheritas Labyrinth today about how the labyrinth concept, circular and interconnected path leading to the center of it all, is a physical symbol of what is being said here. And maybe the living Thyme path between all those paths is representing that mysterious noetic force within it all, holding it all and enhancing it all.

So a respected friend and I were discussing life, specifically the afterlife, the other day. I told him of my letter to my loved ones after Sheritas passing and he was telling me about a book he had heard of that was spoken of on the Today show. The book is titled "Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near Death Experiences" by Dr Jeffrey Long. The interview was on January 2oth of this year and I'll try to insert a link. The interview was well done and could very well be supportive to one questioning these issues. "These issues" to me do refer to this same force which continues onward beyond this ol earth. I'm not sure if the term afterlife is really the best one to use. It seems by calling the eternal existence "life" it automatically puts a picture in our finite minds of something related to this body and this earth. I'm pretty sure that that dimension is beyond our accurate description, as is proven by "golden streets and pearly gates". Going back to Becker ..."as long as man is an ambiguous creature he can never banish anxiety; what he can do instead is to use anxiety as an eternal spring for growth into new dimensions of thought and trust. Faith poses a new life task, the adventure in openness to a multi-dimensional reality." I knew I was going to like this guy. Pax Christi! RV Dr Long - http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34953759/

No comments:

Post a Comment