Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Real enemies are fear and intolerance | DailyTidings.com









Well this is disturbing. I thought I had finished this post the other day and published it to the blog. But come today I looked and it wasn't there. So I'll try to reconstruct the guts of what I said and get it out there this time. The link above was written by the son of my friends Earl and Charlotte Peterson. It kind of is in the same vein as what Alexandria was saying the other day so thought I would include it here. I appreciate what he says and he will soon have a whole bunch of degree letters after his name so he deserves my respect. The only place I would kind of differ with Eric is in the nature of the United States health. In my opinion we have been (and continue to been) very blessed. With that blessing does come great responsibility. We do have our ills but we have done great things. And we have the potential to do exponentially greater things in the future. One of the reasons I supported President Obama has been not so much to support a Democratic candidate but to support a man whom I believe has the potential to be one of the great statesmen of our history. How he deals with the Middle East and other international diplomatic opportunities in the next short while will have a huge impact on world peace and the mitigation of the threat of terror in the foreseeable future. I pray for that reality. As one of Eric's areas of study is that of "Native American Studies" I am reminded of a movie. In the latest remake of "The Last of the Mohican's" three Mohican's in the opening scene are pursuing a deer for food. After they mortally wound the deer the father says a prayer of thanks to the deer for nourishing their travels. I thought it was a great element of connection between human and other elements of creation. One of respect not dominance. Now replace the deer in the story with a cougar and the prayer to one for peace. And then instead of a cougar think Osama Bin Laudin. Pax Christi! RV

No comments:

Post a Comment